As the word board meeting comes to my mind, 4 reasons stand out that make board meetings a challenging situation:
1. Usually, there will be a ‘Give’ and ‘Take’ situation
2. Usually, there will be difference in power
3. Similarly, there will be a difference in perception
4. And, a decision has to be made
These reasons make a board meeting challenging.
So how do we approach it?
Here are the 5 TIPS I have been following to understand my position in a Board meeting:
- Time: In a meeting, there are things that are under my control and things that are not. I need to influence those things that are under my control and to influence that I need to time my executions accurately which comes with practice.
- Criticisms: Whenever a criticism comes my way I agree and I reframe. I have practiced my responses to objections and criticisms because how I respond determines my position at the board meeting.
- Ideas: How I share my opinions will determine the response I get. Depending on what I am sharing I choose a way to communicate that, sometimes I am direct, then at times, I am humorous.
- Dress: My dressing forms a part of my non-verbal communication. I need to look the role I am playing.
- Coaching: Learning the art and science of communication has been a life long journey and still is. The only question I ask myself: “do I want to be the best in a given situation or do I differentiate?” I choose what comes naturally to me. What would you choose?
Feel free to voice your opinions and I would be delighted to respond.